Is your company protected?
These attacks continue to rise. They are targeting more and more small businesses. 1 in 5 small businesses will suffer a cyber breach this year. 97% of breaches are preventable. There are affordable solutions to protect yourself.
These are some things that you and your IT company should talk about implementing:
- Backup — Backup. Backup. Backup. You should have onsite and offsite backups. Consider full operating system disaster recovery and testing. These should be monitored and tested frequently.
- Updates — Update everything! Software, firmware, and operating systems. If you are running on unsupported or outdated systems you are asking for trouble.
- Spam email prevention — This is one of the main sources of attacks. You need to train your employees and have a spam filter in place. Even if you are using a service like Gsuite or Office 365, you should consider using additional protection.
- Passwords — Everyone hates passwords but they are a necessary evil. At the very least you should make sure they are long and not easy to guess. We recommend changing your passwords every 90 days. And please don’t use the same passwords everywhere! All it would take is one breach to loose all your data. There are tools available to help keep track if you are like me and have 300 of them.
- Multi-factor Authentication — Consider using this everywhere you can. If your password is stolen, this adds another layer of protection to your data. Avoid SMS/Text if possible as these can be intercepted.
- Advanced endpoint security — Simple definition based anti-virus is not enough anymore.
- Firewall — Make sure built protection systems are enabled and the log files are being monitored.
- Encryption — This protects hackers from accessing your data via stolen hardware. Mobile devices (phone, laptop, tablet) should always be encrypted. Consider encrypting at rest data and devices as well.
I hear it all the time. We are only 5 users. I can’t afford security. Why would someone try to hack into our firm? What we have works just fine.
Hopefully, you have never had to rely on your home or car insurance but there is a reason for it. Think of taking steps protect yourself from cyber criminals as insurance. It is MUCH more expensive to recover from an attack. Beyond the time spent for a professional to help you or paying the ransom, you may be liable for your employees and customers data.
You need security
You need security to protect you, your clients and your business.
The trend of malware being directly targeted at small business continues to grow. 2016 was the year of ransomware and 2017 is shaping up to be worse. Small business has the most to loose. You are the most likely to pay. You are becoming their favorite target.
You can do something about it!
Here is a sample quote for a five user single location office with a local file server. This assumes that there is a basic network, PCs and a server in place.
Some of the items in the list could be optional depending on your current office configuration.
|pfSense® Security Appliance
|Wireless Access Port AC
|8 port “smart” switch
|Miscelanous patch cables and parts
|Install and security configuration
Opt in for our Gold level service for $50 a month per workstation and $150 a month per server and receive:
- 24/7 Network Monitoring
- Daily Backup Monitoring
- Patch Managment (Your systems, router, and programs always up to date)
- Year-End Technology Review
- Monthly Audit and Tune Up
- Endpoint Software Included (Anti-virus and Anti-malware)
- Cloud File Backup up to 250 GB
- 4 hour Guaranteed Response
- Next Business Day Guaranteed On-site
- Hourly rate reduced 20%
This configuration would last years and you gain the following:
- High-speed secure wireless with expandable coverage and a secure guest wireless and captive portal option
- High-speed VOIP (Voice over IP) friendly router and firewall that is much faster, flexible and expandable than a consumer class option
- Snort IPS/IDS (Intrusion Protection/Intrusion Detection) that can be custom configured
- Multi-level malicious website protection and website content control
- Endpoint Security from Avast and AVG
- Easy to configure site-to-site and remote VPN configuration so you can access your files from home
This is just an example. Depending on your demands and how secure you want to be, we may need to modify this to fit your requirements.
Give us a call at 570-779-4018 to discuss your options!